Monday, August 23, 2021

Sacred Kingfisher study (July 2020)

Around here we are blessed with mostly very mild winters. Regular readers will be aware a favourite spot for me is the north wall in Ballina. So, even in winter it is a pleasant walk, better still when it is not too windy and the tide is quite low because the "fisher" birds tend to be most active then.

The great pleasure of this particular afternoon is given away by the title of the post. No secrets ... BUT ... it would be remiss of me if I only focused on that singular pleasure for this day. So a few other delights to get you in the mood 😎.

First up we have some crested terns relaxing the afternoon sunshine on a rock on the river side of the wall. Always easy to tell the wind direction with birds. The middle photo of this set is a close up of the back most one in each of the group photos. Shows the crest very clearly and sharp bill curving slightly downwards.







Next there was a curious pelican glancing back towards me over the right shoulder in case I had anything to offer - alas, just the camera lens. Even on a relatively choppy river they manage to look very calm and relaxed.
 



I wanted to include these two shots of a darter because I reckon they accentuate just how flexible their necks are - I appreciate it is a point I perhaps labour ... but some things just fascinate, and this is one of them to me! 😋 While it is challenging enough to lower your chin onto your chest, try scratching your lower back a la the second photo of this set!



Next on the Shaws Bay side in the lee of the wind is the egret - stealth hunter extraordinaire! I love the first photo for the slight translucence of the bill and the feathers along the back in partial cloud cover. The second photo was slightly later, with adjusted settings and in full sun on a different angle - the translucence is much brighter and less "moody". The reeds it is wading through under the still surface are much clearer too.



OK, OK ... thank you for your patience, and by now you can better appreciate that this was one of those walks where the treats had been liberally presented 👍. So, to the main event of this post, a "study" of the sacred kingfisher.

The real treat, the real pleasure of this afternoon winter walk was not just a single sacred kingfisher, but several pairs and singles that were out scouting and hunting in the same area - sharing the space. I managed to get quite a few individuals and a couple of the pairs. The few photos you see here are "few" because they are chosen from the 65 I took in my excitement. Ah, the joys of digital photography I say.

I hope you enjoy taking your time admiring this oh so gorgeous little bird and the variety of shades and settings that allow their plummage to shine. Several shots allow a context to see just how tiny they are.












Yes, hard to top that - and not trying to. However, a final treat on my way back to the car was capturing an Australasian gannet in full battle flight. These birds have the most magnificent buff head and chest feathers. They are just amazing to watch as they glide above the water looking for their prey, then dive, tucking their wings into the swept back perfect entry position before breaking the water head first and disappearing until breaking the surface and flying off (usually) with something to devour. Glorious to see in action.

I headed home a very contented bird photographer!



No comments:

Post a Comment