Thursday, August 12, 2021

Birds adapting to our built environment (Oct/Nov 2019)

In this short post I wanted to offer two examples (there are MANY, for example see the Osprey in the Sumptuous September post) of how birds are masters of adaptation to our built environment. Many of my photos, very deliberately, seek birds out in their natural setting and that is what I most try to convey in those selected - in fact, perhaps too often, make a point of writing it too! Well, this set is quite the opoosite. I feature one bird, and use one image of another to link to an earlier post where I waxed lyrical (I like to think so 😏) about this issue ... I will avoid covering the same ground.

Walking into work one morning (SCU Lismore campus), a very plump young tawny frogmouth had perched on the hand rail beside the entrance to our building. Yes, what a treat! Hence the photos! However, this also masks the shame that it was not perched in a tree ... but, solace is also taken that it felt safe enough to perch where it had 👍. 

So, here is a "study" of a plump little tawny frogmouth (clearly content, but not in a natural setting). And you can see in several that it keeps a close eye on things regularly!






This photo I was fortunate to capture in the carpark at the SCU Gold Coast campus one afternoon when turning up for class. The immediate ability to mimic mum is apparent and oh so cute 😂. I refer you to an earlier post where I covered my views on seeing this endearing shot where the background was so near the wheel of a car in a car park ... this photo is a taster to encourage you to (re)view the other photos and deeper back story on that post (if you wish, of course). 



No comments:

Post a Comment