Monday, September 13, 2021

Memorable meanderings (Oct 2020)

Back in October 2020, just after it happened, I posted about a great day out at the Rocky Creek Dam precinct. There were many beautiful sightings that day.

As I am nearing the end of reviewing my photos for 2020 and devising posts that capture those memories, there were other photos throughout October worth sharing. Similar to several opportunities shared in recent posts, I realise I have collected quite a few good close-ups, some featuring just the birds, others both the birds and some settings for additional context. One thing I really enjoy about the close-ups is being able to convey to you the delicacy of the down and feathers - not just for tiny birds, but often the larger ones too. Whenever a bird allows me into their space, it is a real privlege to be able to capture, and now share, that intimacy for you to admire.

The first set of photos were taken during a visit to Mavis's Kitchen in the shadow of Wollumbin (Mt. Warning) for a family lunch. Afterwards we took a walk around the grounds and along the upper reaches of a creek tributrary to the Tweed River bordering the property. First one is a mother wood duck overseeing the grazing techniques of her teenagers while making sure we do not encroach too closely.


Next we have the local drake showing off his very distinctive facial features and striking subtle feather variations accentuated while swimming among the pond lillies, that demonstrate, yet again, that black is seldom really black!




Finally for this location, on the far bank of the creek, was this azure kingfisher. Sadly, not the clearest of photos, but still good enough to allow you to appreciate the striking range of plummage they offer for your admiration.



Next up I offer a very obliging female superb fairy wren who was very willing to allow me nearby on several different perches. Each shows a context to see their small size, while the generosity of allowing me very close shows that delicate down and feather structure I noted at the beginning of the post. Quite the charmer this little lady 😁!






Next are two angles of a younger darter fully fanned out soaking up the energy from the sun while drying its feathers. The soft down of the neck, chest and back contrast the strong feathers of the wing and rudder-like tail. Of course, the wonderfully flexible neck features as well. The rocky perch and the watery background complete a serene image.


The next trilogy is included to show how patiently watching a bird in the same environmental position can offer very different impressions of the shape. In each of these the breeding plummage is clear, like an extra layer thrown on in a hurry and still damp waiting to dry! The elongated neck is certainly evident in the first photo, absent with the head in the second and tucked in fully resting in the third. The grey and white and subtle maroon plummage contrasts really well with the heavy fresh green spring foliage on the bank.




Next trilogy offers two birds with quite the range in size and fiercness! First up are two shots of a welcome swallow during and after a chat with me while resting on a sunny boulder before taking flight again hunting for insects; the thrid photo is an osprey checking me out with an imperious (I don't think it is quite contemputuous!) gaze before it returns that gaze to seeking potential fish for dinner.




This next trilogy is one of several tame laughing kookaburras used to descending for feeding time to the back verandah of a friend's residence. While not to be encouraged, the feeding time offers a really good chance to be still and close to show off the sharp contrast between the feathered finery and the very powerful beak. The likeness in shape to the much smaller kingfishers is unmistakable! I love the symmetry provided by the glare I receive in the final photo of this trilogy. Not something I would like to see heading straight at me!




By coincidence (truely!!) I noticed this laughing kookaburra with a very large earth worm; seemed appropriate to include the photo immediately after my previous comment ... I "know" how the worm must have felt seeing the beak arriving. (I can't help myself as I write this ... imagine how early it had to rise to get a worm this size 😋). The other thing that stands out for me in the photo is the battered state of the worm from being thrashed to tenderise against the branch and the resulting blood spots on the breast feathers. Nature in all her g(l)ory 😜 ... yes, its getting late I know!


Definately not a bird, even a prehistoric version! This water dragon, however, I decided to include because the prehistoric and reptilian features are striking; also the very green tinge on the shoulder stripes I have not noticed on them before - perhaps a special spring feature for this one?


And to conclude a curious male house sparrow taking a very close look at the lens as it perched on the edge capping of the roof.





No comments:

Post a Comment