Monday, July 29, 2019

2015 - trying out a good camera

And so, even before my interest in bird photography, it turns out they offered themselves as some really good subjects as I attempted to come to terms with my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200. A birthday present from my dear wife. This model has been superceded by the FZ300, but to date I am more than content with what I have and progress with my efforts ... here is the fourth photo taken with my camera - was impressed with the detail from the 25-600mm zoom range (a new experience for me).
Rainbow lorikeet feasting on red umbrella tree flowers
And shortly thereafter, a quick follow-up on full zoom with some nice backlight, same tree providing sustenance for a different species ... nature showing me how to share!

Young blue-faced honey-eater
Great subjects, even without a specific interest other than exploring how to apply some of the features of my new camera. The next few are examples from the beach. More specifically, the north wall at Ballina with illustrations of what is available on the river side, the main beach side and in Shaw's Bay ... plenty of options when you begin to take notice!

Pied oystercatcher.

The aptly named Superb fairywren.

Take-away for the Brahminy kite!

A drying darter.
 I now know that these species are common sights in such a rich habitat offered by the Richmond River mouth. The opportunity to photograph such beautiful creatures in their natural environment is a privilege and the range of natural contexts is fun to explore. The final few images for this post are from the same location and feature the playful and curious pelican and another favourite subject, the osprey. A favoured spot along the wall is atop a lamp post ... and their focus on potential prey generally allows some excellent up close photos. The tip of the beak, the claws and that clear focused eye are great features!
Pelican paying homage.
Pelican cruising with that sharp eye.
The majestic fisher - osprey.
More from 2015 soon ...

No comments:

Post a Comment