Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Tassie V - Franklin on the Huon

Unfortunately I have a bit of a blank spot between leaving the east coast and getting to Hobart - only a small one as most of the time was travel. There was a glitch with the SD card I had in teh camera and it just shut the camera down πŸ˜•. Main thing I know I missed was our time in the Hobart Botanic Gardens and quite a few young birds that were in the grounds. Thankfully, I finally figured out it was an error/fault with the card, so a new one reassured me the camersa was still working fineπŸ˜“.

So, the day we arrived at our next B&B in Franklin was another picture perfect one. Even while getting settled the sparrows had attracted my attention.


The Huon was showing its best side this afternoon and so it was "necessary" to go for a walk along the banks to see what I could see! First up, to confirm the "pretty as a picture" bit ... looking south.


And just to confirm that, looking north from where I began my river bank meander, I spotted this crow perched on the remains of a big old log near the bank. Shows off the scene, along with the photo above, I was enjoying very nicely πŸ˜€.


I shall simply label each photo with the bird type & brief comment. Great setting, so really good to see such a variety of bird life making the most of this pristine environment.

Common starlings gathering food for their young.


Pacific black duck cruising.

Australian wood duck pair also cruising.


Little pied cormorant drying off.


Two eurasian coots keeping close check.


I break the pattern here to show this set of three capturing a silvereye as it moved among the foliage maintaining a good camoflage. Each photo captures just enough of a glimpse with the final one showing the acrobatic skills and the greatest exposure of its self in the set.





Chestnut teal cruising & showing off that iridesence.


Another one, just resting from paddling!

Australian wood duck - shiny green wing tip not often visible


A dandy mallard showing off his finery in the afternoon!

Three eurasian coots in formation.

Because they are so cute, and very young, a special set here for an expansive family of Australian wood ducks here. First with mum carefully overseeing their grazing; then a couple focusing on the ducklings keeping to their tight huddle; finally just reassuring you that mum was not far away at all!





Nearing the end of my return leg I spotted these masked lapwings - a plovers corner! Might have thoght these young ones were not needing such close parental guarding, but apparently not quite yet 😁 - at least they were quiet!



No comments:

Post a Comment