Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Tassie III - exclusively elusive!

In each of the earlier Tassie posts I tempted you with a glimpse of the elusive green lorikeet. Though common (by all accounts) they were proving elusive to get close to for some decent photos ... may have been more about my lack of real patience too, but being mostly ground feeders you tend to stumble on them without seeing them and that is their signal to fly off.

However, over the duration, my (minimal) persistence paid off and I have decided to dedicate this post exclusively to the gorgeous green rosella.

First I want to try and set the scene of my first decent opportunity to sneak up on a pair - which actually turned out to be two pairs 😋. I will explain the photo scene below before shwoing you the birds ... trying to justify my tunnel vision really!!

The blue circle is where I emerged from the accommodation through the parking bay into the large walled courtyard. On about my sixth "wander" over almost as many days, I emerged cautiously, peering straight ahead towards the #1 arrow - the largest expanse of grass in direct line of sight 😊. I was in luck ... a pair were grazing over by the wall ... I proceeded very cautiously forward to narrow the gap, taking photos gradually. I was about a 1/4  of the way across when a movement in my peripheral vision, to my left & a little behind caught my attention. MUCH closer was another pair, also grazing ... I had initally missed the "easier" target by being too focused on what I first saw, and very surprisingly, had not caused them to flee. Be patient BUT keep scanning!


So, to the green rosella.

First up is a longer shot from the initial sighting. You can see how they blend in, though the espaliered apple blossoms provide a nice backdrop.


Next, having been alerted to the undisturbed closer subjects ... they became my focus. 

Enjoy the beutiful subtle colours of their palette. As usual (for birds!), it is the male that is more obvious and bright (yes, gorgeous!). The selection provides a variety of profiles and offers pairs initially, then individuals. Enjoy!

























That was it for the Western Tiers. While we saw a few flying around in various other locations on our trip, no more photo opprtunities until our final few days near Rocky Cape National Park in the north west.

The next two photos we lucked out driving out onto the main road from our accommodation - when this one flew off from the roadside grass, it alighted very kindly for us in a paddock very close by and it didn't mind being photograhed for a while 😀.



This final set offer perhaps the closest portraits I was able to obtain. This time late in the late afternoon, and the rosellas very contently savouring & devouring the pink flowers of the shrub. These ones (on two different afternoons) seemed less perturbed by my presence. So I end this exclsive post of these elusive birds with these beautiful portraits ... and I have to say, the pink really complements these boys 😉.





No comments:

Post a Comment