Tuesday, July 25, 2023

July jaunts

Sometimes exploring "new" places that have always been there (just unexplored by you) and revisiting regular locations offer unexpected delights - always have that camera handy 😁.

Between Link Avenue and the Coast Road there is quite the expanse of bushland that you just always seem to "drive past" and not give a second thought to. Probably because there are no obvious entry places or designated parking bays. Lately I had been noticing it more, so yesterday was the day of my first relatively brief explore ... I shall be back for a more extensive wander around Allawah Bushland Reserve for sure (god willing, of course!).

Loads of birdsong on my wander, but I was not trudging too carefully as I was not sure where I was heading along various paths. However, a couple of photos below provide some indication that more patience and a less intrusive presence by yours truley would likely be very fruitful.

Bar-shouldered dove

Lewin's honeyeater

On the way home I decided to brave the wind and head over to the wall for a walk. Alas, just as I reached the wall at the Marine Rescue tower to begin, a rain squall arrived and that was that ... but not before the brahmini kite soared overhead into the teeth of the sou' easter.

A reminder ( I have not provided one for a while now) that clicking on a photo will open all the photos of the post in a larger view window and they often look much better in that view.



This morning, after a regular coffee gathering, I decided to brave the wind again and head over to the wall for a walk that eluded me yesterday. Same starting point, but the action this  morning was on the Shaws Bay side.

First time I have sighted an azure kingfisher at this location so this alone made the decision worth while! Even better it was a very co-operative poser and the rich palette it presents is very clear in the plumage. Easily my best shots of this delightful character in the kingfisher family 😁.




And just before heading back to the car park, along came this silver gull gliding quite low into the strong sou' easter. While its position is quite high in the frame, it is nice and clear and floats wonderfully above the cotton wool cloud bank on the horizon.



No comments:

Post a Comment