Saturday, July 8, 2023

A road well travelled

A early winter wander at Broadwater, turned into a drive back along Tuckean Island Road and through Meerschaum Vale. My intention had been to take a walk along Hind Dune Trail in the Broadwater National Park where I had not ventured for some time. However, that end of the Park had been recently severly singed by a bush fire and the remnant smoke smell was quite off-putting. It was clear some time was needed for mother nature to apply her healing salves and I decided I would return after some more time has elapsed and new shoots and life have re-emerged.

I did manage to spot this couple of pied oystercatchers resting on the ocean shore looking out for each other as the waves gently ebbed across the sand. Then back at the car I had the good fortune to hear and sight a noisy friarbird perched nearby. It allowed me time to photograph mid-call and post-call before it fled further back into the cover of the heathland.




Driving back I decided to cruise along Tuckean Island Rd where I had not ventured for a while. Great cruise as no other car sighted so was able to drive nice and slow and allow my vision to wander with very little risk. Nice still day, so I might be fortunate. I was😉. First up, as I rounded a bend to pass through a young macadamia plantation, a black-shouldered kite was perusing its domain from the top of a dead tree. It was kind enough to take time out of its hunt to look directly down my lens (not once, but twice !!) as I moved vantage points for my photos. Lucky photographer!




Then, as I was about to get back in the car, I noticed a couple of magpies land in the tree over the road in another paddock. Between them, alas looking into the distance with its back to my position, was a young wedge-tailed eagle. It flew off just after this photo and my next photo (not included here as it was not that clear) caught an adult soaring in the background that it was heading towards. 

A drive worth taking, as it turned out!



No comments:

Post a Comment