Saturday, February 27, 2021

Barney Creek Vineyard Cottages II (July 2019)

This post is devoted to the rest of Day 1 of our visit. Most photos are alternative perspectives on birds already sighted during our first 3 hours. Each provides a different glimpse of the pleasure wandering around and patiently observing birds provides ... incentive to continue the journey! Enjoy!

Remember, clicking on an image will bring up a larger version for you to enjoy.

I begin with a series of photos showing off the splendidly acrobatic and sleek eastern spinebill seeking and enjoying nectar in a bush in the garden at the backdoor of the bungalow overlooking the vineyard. One even in flight about to alight on a different branch.





These next two are wonderfully crisp images of a new bird to me. I noticed it repositioning among the branches of the bushes on the small isthmus into the pond in front of the bungalow while we were enjoying a glass of wine. It was immediately noticeable to me as a species of honeyeater I had not seen before and I confess to still not being 100% on my identifaction. My best effort is a yellow-faced honeyeater.



I selected this next one to share because of the imagery ... the dusky moorhen has a dribble of water dripping from the distinctive yellow tip of the red beak and the transition from the iridescent dark blue to the black feathers and white flicking tail is captured splendidly in the late afternoon light. The other stiking thing on review of this photo was the reflection on the glassy pond surface of the pale yellow rock against the bank ... the reflection conjured an image of a very large "egg" the moorhen was guarding ... poetic licence I know, but such was the moment for me on review 😔 ...



Male king parrot ripping into a seed pod.

In my previous post I promised some better images of the very gorgeous and tiny silvereye.
Here you go! 
I spotted this one flitting about in the undergrowth near where I was wandering back up from the creek. I could not believe my luck when this fellow became extra curious once I stopped still and just waited to see what might happen. As you see I was rewarded with some excellent poses that really show off the magnificent sheen of the yellow, grey and olive tones and the iridesence of the white mask surrounding each eye - so striking! This was a wonderful moment.

The two-eyed stare

The curious peek

The sideways glance goodbye

Proudly perched, surveying his kingdom.

This final set offers some wonderful glimpses of the bar-shouldered doves resting and watching carefully from atop the wooden fence palings enclosing the vegetable garden. The magnificent range of brown and bronze shading contrasting the soft pearlesence of the grey chest down. The final photo contrasts the lack of brown and distinctive bars of a peaceful dove pair. The subtle grey variations dominate but remain striking. The final composition captures a plump lone bar-shouldered dove in the background.





Quite the end to our first day back at the Barney Creek Vineyard 😀

No comments:

Post a Comment