Sunday, August 16, 2020

More 2017 spring delights

Not so many "new" finds with this post, but plenty of variations and additions to the gallery as you will see. No specific location theme here, rather a collection of shots from more random meanderings across spring highlighting behaviours and successes that ensure these wonderful feathered creatures continue to survive, thrive and amaze.

The first couple show off the raucous yellow-tailed black cockatoo that often fly with their lazy slow wide wing bet across our local skys. These two shots offer a glimpse of the power of their beaks and the wonder of nature that they know when and where to land to find grubs ad other insects in certain trees. Those beaks are not a place you would want to carelessly place a wiggling finger! Big bird, big beak, striking feathers.

Finding the bark

Bark ripped open


The next three are relatively common around the Victoria Park Nature Reserve boardwalk and picnic area - a common peaceful haunt for me. The first one was a first for me, the second two far more familiar but no less delightful to photograph. Quite a contrast in the way they are noticed. The noisy pitta (and subsequent ones I have sighted) I have not yet located by its call or its colour despite it being very distinctive. Each time I have benefited from the quiet of the forest walk and heard the scratching among the dead leaves and twigs or scurrying across same ... THEN you notice the distinctive plumes and have the challenge of focusing among the vines, dead leaves and other foliage to try to capture the full variegation of the plumes - a challenge I have yet to master for this bird 😉.  The eastern yellow robin ... well, they are far less shy and much more easily noticed by their movement across your path and constant chirping. The two photos here provide a sense how at home and relaxed they are in the more natural and man-made environments within the Reserve.

Noisy pitta

Eastern yellow robin a la natural

Eastern yellow robin on built environment


 The next 10 are variations on earlier common finds in my most commonly visited site - Ballina (north) wall. I have commented more than once how the same birds (well birds of the same species) in the same location can offer quite different perspectives and these are offered as more evidence to support that. Each a different feature or characteristic than presented earlier.

First we have a female superb fairy wren perched on high giving herself a very good chance of being noticed. Clearly a beautiful sunny day accentuating the setting. I nearly always find they are heard before they are seen but they nearly always delight - even without the "superb" plumage.

Superb fairy wren

Next was a not so common sighting for me as the osprey, but this brahmini kite was gliding low in search of its prey and I was fortunate to notice it and get a decent shot of its flight skimming across the swells just inside the bar.

Brahmini kite
Next is the very familiar sacred kingfisher. This photos I really like as it has excellent light showing the intense concentration of the hunt despite the precarious perch, and the deep blue/green hues of the wings and head. Later on you will see a couple of successes from a hunt (can't say it is the same bird). 

Sacred kingfisher concentrating

This next one is my elusive brown honeyeater in the mangroves - seems with recent photos shared it will not seem it is elusive at all, but these are about the only good clear shots I have managed despite many attempts ... I think my "elusive" sense also relates to me taking a long time to figure out which bird it was. What I enjoyed about this one was capturing the moment when it was "in song".

Brown honeyeater singing

Previous shots shared of this fella have showed it preening in the sun with a pristine look about its feathers. Not always the case as you can see here 😋... still damp from a recent dive and a shake on the rocks, it has spread it wings to the sun to dry off and replenish energy ready to go again ...

Little pied cormorant drying off

The next two offer the examples of the successful hunt I referred to earlier. While the first prawn is impressive, the second one is a very impressive size ... makes you wonder how long before they could hunt again 😆 ... I know I would be very happy to devour each prawn ... an impressive catch.

Sacred kingfisher successful dinner

Sacred kingfisher - even more impressive catch

This one was worth sharing just to highlight even these sleek wading hunters can have their feathers rustled.

Rustling and egret's feathers

I felt very fortunate to get the final two shots in this Ballina Wall sequence. As I was heading back to the car park near the Sea Rescue I noticed this osprey circling towards the end of the wall and then alighting on the concrete blocks to survey for potential prey at the entrance. I spent about 2 seconds debating with my self if I would be fortunate to get to the end of the wall to get some shots before it flew off ... I knew from a previous experience in the UK capturing grebe chicks on the mother's back that I would regret (and wonder) not trying and seeing what "might have been". Clearly I was quick enough 😊. First one offers a perspective of the stillness and imperious gaze across the incoming waves despite the stiff breeze and how could I resist sharing a close-up of that imperious gaze!

Osprey - the still sentinel concentrating

Osprey - the imperious gaze

In my previous post about exploring Black Rocks, I opened with a wonderful photo of the straw-necked ibis, a more aesthetically appealing version of the more common and much maligned white ibis. This next image was taken in the front garden at a friend's place and serves to offer a sense that beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder - or setting. Makes quite a natural and grand garden ornament! I have come to enjoy these birds as a subject.

Australian white ibis

And finally, a real treat finding a tawny frogmouth on its nest in a big old gum tree near the back entrance to my building at work. Sadly, a few weeks later, the nest and birds were gone after wild overnight storm. 

Tawny frogmouth on it's nest


No comments:

Post a Comment