Saturday, August 15, 2020

A treat at Black Rocks.

Black Rocks ... a far rarer gem than the name suggests.

Far too often we are not aware of real gems we have right on our own door step. Having written that, I'm sure some people are because there is a camp ground there (at Black Rocks). Being in Bundjalung National Park just south east of Woodburn it was really good to note that the campground has no power, no bins, no showers or water supply and only a single compost toilet block. I cannot recall who or when I was alerted to this as a location to visit, but for sure it was not a result of any of my own research. I do recall friends from my earlier rugby days talking about visiting & camping at Jerusalem Creek, but that was long ago. So venturing there was an unexpected surprise and I was already looking forward to a return visit at the end of my first visit.

This was a beautiful clear late winter day with only a light ocean breeze. Taking the trails along the creek & back along the dunes, then through some virgin heathland was such a treat. I could not help feeling the silence was loud, the flora and fauna undisturbed and untouched and very much at ease with a wandering human tromping across their environment ... and how satisfying to be rewarded for treading lightly by some wonderful photos and some first sightings for me. I hope you can get a small sense of the peace and serenity where these wonderful creatures thrive - why we do not respect it far more is way beyond my comprehension 😟. 

Please enjoy ... and remember if you double click on a photo, you will just be able to browse through a larger version of them.

Before I even reached the Park I had my first treat for the day - perhaps a good omen ... I was driving along the dirt road not far off the Pacific Highway and off to the left in the middle of a paddock was a big old dead tree that provided a magnificent perch. That perch (those perches), at that moment on that beautiful clear morning, show just how majestic the straw-necked version of the much maligned "bin-chicken" (ibis) can be. Not only are the "straw" feathers of the neck accentuated in this first photo, but the real hero is the iridescent shimmer of the wing feathers ... such a sheen.

Straw-necked ibis

Just after I set off north, along the path beside the Jerusalem Creek pontoon, I heard the distinctive chirp of the brown honeyeater (you can listen to it here ... just scroll down a little when the page opens), located it and was surprised it was not in a hurry to fly off ... very content and comfortable in its own remote environment - again a positive omen. 
Brown honeyeater

Not too far along the track as the vegetation began to open up, a familiar blur of colour matched by the recognised associated call (listening with my eyes and watching with my ears) and located this wren. Again, not at all shy or in any hurry to flit off. This was a real treat on such a gorgeous day. So many natural settings here ... when you mange to get these in the right light I continue to be amazed just how many different shades of blue are distinctive but also merge.

Superb fairy wren

Continuing that theme, but presenting a new find for me is up next. The next three photos offer my first encounters with the white-cheeked honeyeater. The white and yellow plumage contrast sharply with the main black they are easily noticeable as they soar between trees and fly high to chase insects to supplement the nectar. I have chosen to share 3 photos to show the birds and way they are photogenic in their natural setting.

My first white-cheeked honeyeater


Not afraid of the open perch

Shelter among the seed pods


Butcherbirds have a wonderful call and are generally not difficult to locate as a result. they make it easier still be being keen (not unlike kookaburras) to perch openly as they search the surrounding ground for movement. I have identified this one as a grey butcherbird, but the dry branches hide the part of the beak which might confirm a small white patch ... so could also be a young pied butcherbird ... for sure a butcherbird!

Grey butcherbird

Just before the track takes a turn to the east back towards the dunes and the beach (I did not feel I had time to follow the track the full length of the creek - something for the future), this Lewin's honeyeater was even more evidence of how tame the birds were here.

Lewin's honeyeater

Then, for me another real treat just behind the dunes awaited ... I had seen rainbow bee-eaters before, but never a small flock that was hunting insects and playing through the heath shrubs. The accentuated their soft rainbow palette and the settings their long tail feathers. Somewhat shyer than the birds so far, but still offering some tremendous photos to show-off their plumage and relative size. Again, I have chosen to share three because each setting offers different magnificent context.

Rainbow bee-eater pair


Lone sentinel #1

Lone sentinel #1


The next two photos were shots of earlier presented birds, but the settings are worth sharing to offer a sense of the points made earlier and to confirm (in my mind) that these are grey butcherbirds. Fantastic scenes when they show-off a the very top of perches and tree foliage (the latter really highlighting just how light they are).

White-cheeked honeyeater







Grey butcherbird

Out over the sea soared a white-bellied sea eagle. Seems like a lot of sky and not much bird BUT I think that just enhances the wingspan and fact that it is in command of its domain! While distant this was another first for me.


And back at the car park, my final find for what had been a most wonderful exploration immersed in such a pristine natural environment on my doorstep. Another first for me, capturing the male of the species, having only photographed the much less colourful female before. Quite similar to the superb fairy wren until you see the variegations on the back and wings. And if you have a keen eye you will see a second one on the wing, higher to the left which will offer a glimpse of what I mean when I write noticing the blur of colour or movement.

Variegated fairy wren

Just a magnificent day and location ... I really look forward to returning one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment