Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Some spring encounters

One day I was taking a slow drive along Old Bangalow Rd (along Emigrant Creek) on my way home from Ballina. It is a detour I have written about before and one I take regularly ... just in case. This day I was rewarded twofold. The first two photos show a buff-banded rail I spotted in a roadside "supermarket". It was unusually co-operative and did not take off allowing me a good opportunity to get these photos.



Getting back in the car, I noticed a splash of colour against the bare paperbarks in the swamp on the opposite side of the road to above. Sure enough, perched high on a branch scanning the swampy puddles was a sacred kingfisher. A good illustration how easy it is to look but not always see 😁.


The remaining photos in this post were taken on a day we took my wife's dad for a drive to Ballina. We had some fish and chips beside Shaws Bay for lunch and curiosity got the better of this magpie lark (pee wee) as it sought any stray or dropped chips. Nice eyes (no chips)!



Our final stop was for a walk out the wall near the Marine Rescue tower. Some female superb fairy wrens were especially co-operative, some in outstanding settings showing off their delicate finery. I also managed to photograph a  blue/black butterfly while alighted on a bush, and a very confident young water dragon surveying it's environment.









No comments:

Post a Comment