Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Diamonds at Dyraaba

So to round out my review of the 2018 bird photos here is a real treat from a visit to Dyraaba to visit family who were living on a smallholding in that location at that time. It was a hot day, and it was quite dry as it had been for most of the year. I was taken on a stroll to the lower portions of the land overlooking a billabong on the neighboring property and also an almost dry waterhole/small dam on the smallholding along the front fenceline. So began the photo opportunities, though offering little in the way of what lay ahead in terms of the ability to get up close and personal with two local attractions - one entirely new to me, the other one that had been elusive to capture other than at considerable distance.

So, we begin with a favourite ... an indication of the range of locales where these are present. While this photo shows how they blend in, it also allows a glimpse of how they stand out and you can imagine (from the still photo) how you "notice" the flash of colour from their movement as the best source of locating them. Gorgeous bird.

Rainbow bee-eater

In a recent post I offered a series of "portraits" of a laughing kookaburra. I was tempted to do something similar here given the range of close-ups I was privileged to execute. However, that would sanitise the way this unexpected feast of colour and slendour unfolded - and it is that "journey" I would like to try and convey in this post. You be the judge, but in any case ENJOY the magnificence of nature's palette on show that day.

Sitting on the front verandah gazing across the property down the entry drive to the main road, my eyes wander left to a fork in the large eucalypt and I notice a bird atop a nest. It has the distinctive small rounded head of a dove. Zooming in, I notice it is not one that I have seen before. Cool!
 
Common bronzewing

A little later, there was another one out the other side of the house, perched on a branch that gave lie to the "common" part of the name. As see you see below, the wings offer far more colour than first seems to be the case, and even challenges the "bronze" part of the name. However, like a lot of doves and pigeons, the iridescent colours are a feature when you get the right lighting. I left the verandah and headed out the back to get a slightly different perspective (second photo) and was rewarded with a spot of sunshine partially highlighting the iridescence.



While I was busy taking a series of shots from which the two above were selected, my attention on the common bronzewing was complete. This can be detrimental to your observation powers because it is necessary to narrow your field of vision to the exclusion of what else may be going on around you - the bigger picture as we say 😉. My attention was drawn to the voice of my grandkids calling me to "look, look above you!" To my delight I saw a king parrot, then two more ... a family group scattered through the poinsiana tree that shaded the rabbit hutch where I was positioned for the common bronzewing photos. 

How cranky I would have been to have missed these given my prior rather fruitless attempts to get anywhere near close! I need not have worried. While wild birds, they apparently are regular visitors helping themselves to seed and other leftovers from feeding time in the rabbit hutch 😁. So here is a small sample from the MANY photos taken in the next little while ... as you might imagine this is one of those times when you feel a real spring in your step and you just cannot quite everything positioned how you might like it for fear of scaring them off BUT still want to get as many shots as you can ... yes, a few deep breaths were needed 😞.

Male king parrot


Juvenile king parrot

Curious male

Ravenous juvenile


Keeping a close eye on me

Female king parrot

And how cool to be able to get so close that I was able to zoom in for such a portrait as this on the very handsome male. And the one after shows how the juvenile even looks quite regal perched in the poinciana.



Having settled into a wider sphere of vision as I meandered position around the rabbit hutch, the greater exposure of the common bronzewing on its perch was also noted ... I imagine it had been quietly sitting place soaking up the energy from the sun and taking in the lunatic trying to move with a small amount of stealth with a black object protruding from his head most of the time - weirdos these humans and what they think they get away with 😆.


Then back to a couple of the female who had been a little less photogenic and far more maternal in her guarding from a distance of the juvenile. A softer and more consistent light green chest and head than the more mottled juvenile. More subtle true, but with that subtlety there is clear beauty and eminence to behold.



And to end the "session" where it began with the common bronzewing ... it had moved from its natural perch to one from the built environment, the quintessential bush corrugated roof which still complements its vibrancy.


Quite the end to 2018 ... clearly plenty of impetus to continue with this most rewarding pastime.

No comments:

Post a Comment