Sunday, August 4, 2019

2019 - a taste of the future

Earlier I ruminated about how I might present my bird blog. It has largely been chronological because it best suits accessing the archive of my photos. However, every now and again, I recall an instance or event or occasion that is out of chronological sequence. It may have been prompted by something I saw, something I read, something I heard ... who knows - at times I may recognise, or not ... but this morning I did and it seems entirely reasonable to just "blog" about it ... so here I am.

We (my wife and I) are currently enjoying a relaxing and peaceful break in one of the many units overlooking the Broadwater on the northern end of the Gold Coast. This morning I was reading a book (trying to finish it) and something I read reminded me of something totally unrelated I did on Friday evening as a "test". The unit has a huge TV. I have a back-up hard drive for my photos. I decided to plug it in and see how some of them looked on the "big screen". Great! They happened to be some photos taken in 2019. We enjoyed flicking through some. My morning reading reminded me of one instance in particular and these are two examples of them ...

1st April (and this is NOT an April Fools story!) and before I head inside after arriving home from work, I walk back up the driveway to check for any mail. Half way up I sense movement in the tree above and notice something fly off down the back being harassed by our local noisy miners. Almost simultaneously I notice the magnificent specimen below seek refuge in the other direction in a tree in the front yard ... I cannot believe my luck and speculate out loud (to myself 😕) "please, please, please stay there til I can fetch my camera from inside" ... fortunately when I get back out the noisy miners are still harassing out back somewhere and when I get out front I am able to breathe a sigh of relief ... fantastic!
Grey goshawk (white morph)
Taking full advantage of the relatively willing subject, I ventured from the western to the eastern side of its perch and was unexpectedly rewarded with a glimpse of nature in full view (and perhaps the real reason the partner of the pair had distracted the other invaders in an opposite direction) ...
Goshawk with dinner scraps
Life is good when day fades with such natural delight. Why do we insist on wanting to destroy habitat?

OK, back to finish the book now that memory has been cleared ...

No comments:

Post a Comment